Monday, June 25, 2012

Inspiration

Sometimes it's really hard to make it on a small amount of money. Especially when you go into a store just looking to buy a couple of things you need and pass by multitudes of different items in their slick packaging that just seem to jump out at you screaming, Buy me! Buy me! The consumerist mentality is built into the very fabric of modern society and can be hard to resist. 


That's why I love reading about people who survive on as little money as possible. It inspires me to resist the consumerist mentality whenever I get the "urge to splurge". It helps me to stay focused on what is really important in life and not get caught up in the great american pass time of accumulating enormous amounts of debt.


So in this post I want to invite you to read a few articles from around the web about people who are able to live on very little money. You may or may not like some of their daily survival strategies but that isn't really the point. The idea here is to show that it is possible to live on very little money. Hopefully You can find a little inspiration in at least one of these articles that will help you resist the "urge to splurge".


First up we have an article about a guy who had to file for bankruptcy and then had his house foreclosed. Not having anywhere to go he moved into an 18 foot travel trailer for a few months until he could find some place to go. He ended up living in the small trailer for four years! The site that this article is posted on may turn you off because it's called "Queercents". I guess it's a personal finance blog for homos because their mantra is "we're here, we're queer, and we won't go shopping without coupons". It's a pretty good article though and you can find it here.


Next up we have an article about a guy who lives in a tent in the desert. This sounds pretty crazy but he actually has a good set up and lives comfortably. He is on an "extended" camping trip that he hopes will last the rest of his life. His M.O. is to go out in the desert somewhere, set up camp for two weeks and then move on. He earns money to finance his extended camping trip, on the web, with a lap top and a mobile internet connection. You can read about it  here.

If camping is not really your thing then read this article about a "freegan" that lives in New York. I personally don't like the whole freegan "philosophy" because there's too much far left politics used to justify eating food out of a dumpster. I don't think survival needs any justification. This article is pretty good however, with minimal "holier than thou" preaching Usually found with anything written by or about freegans. Read it here.


Yet another good article about freegans who took over an old abandoned mansion in Buffalo NY and turned it into a sort of "freegan frat house" can be found here

Last up is an article that is not really about anyone in particular. It is merely a hypothetical "day in the life" of someone doing some cheap-ass-living. It's from the possum living blog and it attempts to explain "what possum living means" You can find it here.


How about you? Do you know of any other good articles on the web about people who are living on very little money? Do you know of any good articles that offer inspiration to those who need to survive on very little money? I'd love to read them.



3 comments:

  1. Blog I follow : http://zerocurrency.blogspot.com/

    YouTube channel I watch : http://www.youtube.com/user/Livingononedollar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got to a level of having no debt, and that is mainly because I live in a trailer. Having all those years of low living costs finally paid off, my trailer that I have now I was able to pay cash for. Same with the vehicles, buy good used and pay cash. Not having that big house, big payment and all the costs too run it as well as furnishing it goes a long way too living a cost effective life IMHO.

    Even in my business, no debt and I finance all the work that I do, no line of credit from the bank and any supplies and parts I buy, I pay for them when they hit my shop floor.

    The last little while I have been working on making my grocery bill and Trlr energy costs more efficient. I shop three different groceries stores now and buy large when things are on sale, bought a freezer too, that is key for taking advantage of meat sales. My heating system is now a hybrid style, both propane and diesel, resulting in lower cost per month and a better more even heat in the trailer. I save about 300 per month heating my fiver during the coldest months of the year.

    I use a Jack tv antenna to get all the free digital to air channels, perfect signal in stereo and although I only get ten channels where I am parked now, that's pretty much all I need. Internet is thru the cell network and ten gigs costs me 40 per month tax in. Cell phone for the rest and no land line.
    I figure I blended frugal and mainstream living styles together and the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With so much of goodies available in the market in attractive packagings, it becomes very difficult to resist the temptation to buy them. You think they are all necessary for survival.

    ReplyDelete